Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Kitchen Adventure

Tonight my husband came up with a great quote for my blog -- "I don't want to be racist, but do they make a brown rice cooker?"

We are in the midst of a kitchen adventure. Since we didn't really have a plan for dinner tonight, Brian said he would make dinner. I love it when he cooks. However, it usually involves a crockpot, maybe a little too much cajun seasoning, and takes at least two hours longer than I want.

Tonight we did not opt for the crockpot, which is great since it means I won't have to eat the same leftovers for a week. It's hard for just the two of us to each a whole crockpot worth of gumbo, as much as I love it. Still, our meal did involve rice. And therein lies the crisis. I can usually handle myself in the kitchen, but rice is my white whale. I have been struggling to properly cook rice for as long as I've been cooking. My rice is always undercooked or burned or takes three hours. I know, I know, I should buy a rice cooker, but it just feels like cheating. People have been cooking rice for centuries without that fancy countertop gadget, why can't I? But after years and years of fighting this whale, I think it's time to give in. But does a rice cooker work for brown rice? I'll let you know what I discover.

No comments: