Thursday, February 19, 2009

More Bread

I love making bread. So far, though, I have encountered two problems.

One, it makes me eat a lot more bread. There is just no comparing store bread to homemade. It's better for you, it makes your house smell wonderful, and it just takes so incredibly good. But I'm going to have to start running or something.

Two, it's very unpredictable. So far I have successfully made potato bread, wheat bread, and pita. I have failed at sourdough and wheat bread. The same wheat recipe came out wonderful the first time and refused to rise the second time. I could understand failing the first try and then fixing it, but no, I had to do it backwards. I think the difference is where I chose to rise the dough. In my successful breads I put the dough to rise on the dryer. Our house stays cool all the time, so putting it in the kitchen just isn't warm enough for the little yeasties. But the dryer works perfectly. The problem is that I don't always have enough laundry to keep up with my bread demands.

1 comment:

Sadie said...

That last sentence made me laugh out loud.